A view of the west end of the church taken through the
northern tower window, showing the font and a side
view of the small organ now used.
closer view of the rounded grave-cover against the
west wall of the church.
"In 1704, already a widow, she
[Jane Norcliffe, gd. of Sir Reginald Forster
of Loxley Hall] lost her only child, a boy of nineteen; and having presented the church with a fine silver chalice and paten, removed to another parish. To her liberality may be ascribed, in all likelihood, the classical renovation of which the effects are apparent in the excellent Communion rails, the pulpit – projecting like a bracket, so that the preacher suddenly emerges (to the delight of any juvenile members of his congregation) from the south wall of the nave – the circular headed windows, the box pews, the handsome west-door, and its pretty flight of steps."
"The alterations in the `forties were the work of the Rev. William Cassebon Purdon. Now, in this present winter, the restorers are busy once more. The disused gallery has been removed; the arch between the nave and the tower has been opened up; a glass-light representing the patron saint – of boys, thieves, parish-clerks, sailors, pawnbrokers, and Loxley Church – has been inserted in the lancet window; and a cross has been fixed on the gable."
The above two quotations are taken
from a history of the church on the village and church
web site at http://redbreast.co.uk/loxley/1923Restoration.htm
, which is undated, although apparently relates to the
1923 restoration work which removed the west gallery.
See also http://www.LoxleyVillage.com